Have u ever tried answering this ????
I still remember .. It was a Monday morning. My dad sat on his chair in the porch , reading the sports page of the Hindu.. I used to always or rather i still wonder if even the ' proof reader ' would read it so intently.. Grrr... The only thing I hate about newspapers is that it robs me of all the beautiful morning chats wid my dad , or rather shortens them.. (Duh.. no one can stop me from talking.. ).. I pulled the paper and went and curled up to him.. "No school kanna ? " "I have appa.. I jus wanted to talk to u before that.."
Immediately after I said that , my dad looked straight into my eyes as if he was reading the newspaper in my eyes.. He always does that.. looks through me.. and he asked "What is it that you are confused about today ? ".. Wow !!! He knew me so well.. So i started off .. "Appa How do we judge our progress and how do we ensure if we are in the right direction to reach our goal ? "
I still dont know how as a 9 th standard kid I thought so much.. But then I had to know the answer.. Here s what he told me .. "Have you ever felt better than u have felt a minute before ?? " .. "I dont get you appa.. better ?? " .. "Yes Divya.. have u felt it starkly ? That you are a better person than you were a minute ago ? You are too young to understand it... But sometime in life u will know what I mean "
It was the May of 2008.. Something was still disturbing me..The question I had asked my dad when I was in my 9 th standard.. How do we Judge our success and progress in life ?? Just then my dad made me read a poem by mother theresa
People are often unreasonable, Illogical, and self-centered; Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, People may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; Be kind anyway.
If you are successful, You will win some false friends and some true enemies; Succeed anyway.
If you are honest and frank, People may cheat you; Be honest and frank anyway.
What you spend years building, Someone could destroy overnight; Build anyway.
If you find serenity and happiness, They may be jealous; Be happy anyway.
The good you do today, People will often forget tomorrow; Do good anyway.
Give the world the best you have, And it may never be enough; Give the world the best you’ve got anyway.
You see, in the final analysis, It is between you and God; It never was between you and them anyway.
It changed my life so much.. Yes.. Only we know our worth.. only we can judge what we are capable of.. Things around us wont change unless we change the way we see them.. To change the world.. lets change ourselves.. But how.. shall we ask ourselves some questions that all of us might dread to answer ??
1) How many times have we thought of situations from someone else's shoes , having taken off our own ? Being empathetic is just this.. "Take your shoes off and wear someone elses"
2) How many times have we spoken ill of someone without even knowing the person properly ? How many times have we enjoyed those gossips on a girl whom we do not even know more than arms length ?
3) How many times have we made life difficult for our parents ? People around us ? How many times have we not understood them and cursed them for what they havent done rather than being grateful for what they have ?
4) How many times have we treated education seriously and thought of those millions who are starving for a meal a day and are aspiring to be a part of those coveted institutes that we are in ? How many times do we do justice to our conscience ?
5) Last but not the least.. How many times have we made a person smile ?? Its easy to make someone cry.. But have we ever thought about how difficult it is to make a person smile in all its warmth and with genuine touch ?
Well if all this could be answered lets try answering the million dollar question .. "Am I a better person than I was a minute ago ?? "